Monday, November 3, 2014

Last Day

I came here in April to live and work on a CSA/farm for a couple months this summer. It was another example in my life of me picking up and moving to a strange place with a bunch of people I didn't know (besides my brother who was here for a time). Will and I had road tripped it up from Texas with a car-full of my things, and as we drove into town for the first time, I remember distinctly thinking. "This is not my home. I don't belong here. What in the world am I doing??"

I would again have to begin the uncomfortable process of starting a new life from scratch.
And yet, seven short months later, Ft. Collins, Colorado doesn't seem so foreign anymore.
I know my way around.
I have people I care about.
This feels like home.

With my departure imminent and looming, the sudden realization that I am actually quite attached to this place and some of its people has hit me hard. There is a lot that I am going to miss….
…running with Pippin through the hay fields
…admiring the mountain-filled sunsets
…early mornings in the garden with Pam picking beautiful vegetables.
…mixing compost with Kathy
...counting how many eggs our hens laid
…enjoying good beer and a book on the Equniox or Odells patio by myself
…hanging out with Paul, Matt, Micah, Scott, and Sam-E in their house.
…playing countless games of cards with Pam, Jim, and Aleda
…coming back to the LoCo Foods office after a long day of driving to find Gideon, Josh, Sam, and Elizabeth's smiling faces.

and more.

It has been a good seven months.
I leave sad and yet so, so grateful.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment