Monday, August 13, 2012

Simplicity


I recently read the ‘Send Me to Serve’ fundraising page of one of the new JVs that will be coming in December, and one thing she wrote significantly struck me. She wrote that the vow to simple living that we take during these two years is NOT a vow to poverty. Simple living is a choice to love the Earth. It is a choice to rid our lives of unnecessary things. It is a choice to move towards a greater happiness. Poverty on the other hand is many times not a choice. It is the oppressive and painful force that many of the women in my banks struggle with daily.

I may live more simply here, but I definitely do not live in poverty.  I have regular meals, my rent/light/water/phone bills are easily paid each month, I have good health insurance, and on top of this, JVC gives me a stipend--I have everything I need and a little extra.  And I am so, so happy.
 I think this is why it always seemed weird to me when people would say things like, “Oh poor you!” when I tell them about some of the aspects of our simple lifestyles here:

No car
No washing machine/dryer
No dish washer
No cell phone
No internet
No TV
No hot water heater
No air condition
Less variety of diet
& Less space for privacy

Yes, sometimes these can be agitating, but in many ways I feel that my life here has allowed me to find a new kind of liberation. I feel more in touch with myself and with those around me. I appreciate things/moments more. I feel closer to the Earth.

I realize many of the items on the list above are products of technology, but I don’t want you to think that I’m saying all technology is inherently bad. Hell, I’m using technology right now to communicate all of this to you! In moderation, things like cell phones and internet can be very useful and lead to many good things. For example, I heard that when the computer was first becoming widely distributed in the U.S., people thought it would revolutionize the work place—everyone could get their work done in half the time and therefore only work half as much! Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be how things turned out. I think many of us have attached ourselves to machines and the latest technology thinking that it will make our lives easier and better, but many times we become more stressed and less happy. The United States may be one of the most efficient and well-connected places in the world due to technology, but what does this matter if we cannot be truly loving and present to ourselves, the person sitting next to us, the Earth, and God? For me, simple living seems to be a giant step in the right direction towards all of those. 

Pues, with all that being said…..While I have learned a lot in my 8 months here, I recognize that I am still not the biggest expert on simple living. If any of you have thoughts/experiences to share or differing points of view, I would love to hear them.

Thanks for reading. : )

-Jana  

1 comment:

  1. Jana, love this post...there is some movement here in this direction, I perosnally am getting more and more interested in urban homesteading which is right up this alley...Living more simply, not buying in, literally, to the prevailing theory that consumerism makes the world and life go around. I'm growing more of our plant based needs, learning to can and preserve, learning to reduce our consumerism and looking for ways to continue to simplify life. I think its better for the soul, the earth and the community. If we were all just a little more conscious of our everyday impact, if we made value based purchasing and lifestyle choices, I think this world would be a lot better off.
    Enjoy the simplicity that your adventure is providing you, you will cherish it always and it will provide you with a compass for your next adventure. Would love to meet over some wine when you get back, if you ever come back, to discuss your experience some more...simple doesn't mean poverty you are correct, but simple can provide more meaning in life I think...good luck, looking forward to reading more of your insights...take care barbara clark-galupi

    ReplyDelete